sown

Minigames 2.0?

sown

Hey this thread is aimed mainly at skyprah/executives of the server. Will we be seeing a re-vamp of minigames much like the 2.0 jailbreak release?

I know the mg playerbase has dwindled and all but it's still an original server with tons of maps/customs, letting it go is almost a waste since it has so much potential. 

With the addition of csgo being "free to play" I feel like now is a better time than ever to build up a new community/player-base around minigames.

The map pool should be flushed out and examined towards a community setting (currently there are too many course maps). Player interaction should be encouraged and VIP shouldn't just give you every skin on the server.

Course maps could be timed and rewarded for beating server records. Name tags could be reworked so they're only obtainable by completing tasks/missions, eg: 100 headshots = Hunter sown

There could be a daily login reward system were being active allows you to recieve 2x credit bonus on kills (wont work if spectating). Adding the new fortnite damage display system would also give the server a unique theme.

Fists/throwing axes and other cool gadgets should be experimented and played with. Also, let the community stay more involved by doing weekly/monthly polls on which maps to add or delete, gameplay features and skin preferences.

These were just a few examples i came up with so let me know yours. Thanks and i hope you're having a good new year.

Edited by sown
  • Juicy 1
  • Thumbs up 2

Zing
1 hour ago, sown said:

Course maps could be timed and rewarded for beating server records

I really like this idea! 

1 hour ago, sown said:

The map pool should be flushed out and examined towards a community setting (currently there are too many course maps).

This is generally what the server wants to play and is what gets voted in so I understand why you think there might be too many course maps but the population of the MG server is quite low most of the time. It would be a bad idea to take away the variety of course maps since minigames & team v team maps require a larger group of people to be able to be enjoyed by all. Weirdly enough though we have Pirate Wars as our default start up map, so I guess that contradicts everything I just said.

1 hour ago, sown said:

Fists/throwing axes and other cool gadgets should be experimented and played with. Also, let the community stay more involved by doing weekly/monthly polls on which maps to add or delete, gameplay features and skin preferences.

Please no. I know you are talking experimentation and that it doesn't have to be permanent but personally nononono.

Believe it or not, most of the MG server don't get involved in voting and all of the forums shit. It would be a very limited amount of people putting their opinion on whatever is being polled so as good as this sounds on paper, it wouldn't work out.

1 hour ago, sown said:

Name tags could be reworked so they're only obtainable by completing tasks/missions, eg: 100 headshots = Hunter sown

This is actually something I haven't heard before and I'd love to see in the server. Small challenges to motivate people and give them a reason to keep playing the server. 

We need something to keep people coming back, the good bhoppers are sick of all the course maps because they get repetitive so they only want to play minigames + Team v Team. Everyone else votes in course because there aren't enough people to enjoy anything else. When we start getting a playerbase back and when the ranking system starts to balance out again the og's might come back and there will be a more balanced map pool being rotated. There needs to be a bit of work done and it takes time, for now keep sending in the suggestions because they don't go unnoticed.

ps. We need credit gifting back for all the kiddies that only play for credits. 

• Like 2

qd.

I agree with everything Zing says but I would like to add that the tick of the server should be set back to what it used to be. I find that it is actually harder to continue my speed when bhopping and usually randomly stop after hitting perfs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs up 1

Zing
5 minutes ago, qd. said:

the server should be set back to what it used to be. I find that it is actually harder to continue my speed when bhopping and usually randomly stop after hitting perfs. 

Forgot to mention this. Random hops I lose all my speed for no reason, happens regularly and it's super frustrating.

SpeeDY

Bring credit system back + !spr, !cointoss, !minesweep or !mines

Add in tiers for maps, @Snapz had made a system to place maps into difficulty tiers

Revamp of store skins +tags would be great

4 hours ago, sown said:

Course maps could be timed and rewarded for beating server records. Name tags could be reworked so they're only obtainable by completing tasks/missions, eg: 100 headshots = Hunter sown

Love this idea,  this could be something skyprah should think about adding.

1 hour ago, Zing said:
4 hours ago, sown said:

The map pool should be flushed out and examined towards a community setting (currently there are too many course maps). Player interaction should be encouraged and VIP shouldn't just give you every skin on the server.

This is generally what the server wants to play and is what gets voted in so I understand why you think there might be too many course maps but the population of the MG server is quite low most of the time. It would be a bad idea to take away the variety of course maps since minigames & team v team maps require a larger group of people to be able to be enjoyed by all. Weirdly enough though we have Pirate Wars as our default start up map, so I guess that contradicts everything I just said.

I completely agree with Zing here, although there may be some maps that are not fully perfect/functional or may have 1 stage broken. If you personally or the Minigames community have certain maps that they like that are not currently in the map pool, contact an admin or skyprah otherwise post on the minigames forums page, and make a suggestion. However, the balance of course and multigames does not really matter, it is mainly the players choice also the VIP having not access to all skins is not a bad idea.  Credits can be a way to buy certain skins.

• Fire2 1

sown

I'll be fine with keeping alot of the servers course maps if it could change to a minigames map every 3rd or 4th rotation. Or a system that could calculate the server population and change to an mg map after the initial map has finished.

The best fix imo is changing the time of course maps to be significantly lower than regular mg maps. That way if you do want to play courses you'll get much more variety over a long time span rather than playing the one map for 30 minutes.

My contention with coursemaps is that they can be very repetitive and in some instances cause the server to die/dwindle down in numbers.

Yes, experienced people want to play them but to new people they can be frustatingly difficult as a majority of course maps are trial and error. Just my own opinion.

Goose

I agree with bringing back 64 tick. Definitely feels worse now than before.

I got no issue with course maps, but I agree that decreasing the map time is a good idea, as I have seen many 20+ pop nights die after a single map. I also suggest to increase the maps needed to play the same map again (I believe it is currently 3 maps) as this allows for more variety in maps played. 

I always thought that the weakest part of minigames is its map pool. There are a lot of terrible and broken maps (iPods, Tom Greens All in One, Devine) with a few more needing fixing (nimafa3?  had several bugs), and the variety of maps played was real shit (before the most recent wave of map additions, it was Sonic, Acrophobia, Gruber and then maybe a multigames map every 6 or so maps). The problem with adding more maps is there is more chance of people getting frustrated at the map (which is what happened a lot when we live tested new maps on the server) and just left, only to rejoin if Sonic or something was on.

Credits are ridiculous. Add back Coinflip and maybe the kiddies will come back.

New title system would be sick at as well.

the addition of throwing knives would be shit, I, as well as a few others, prefer as close to vanilla experience as possible.

There were a lot of things in the pipeline for minigames that were sidelined for one reason or another. I’m not blaming Sky as I know he is busy. Maybe if there was a head admin for the server 🤔

Good post overall :) 

• Like 2
  • Fire2 1

Snapz
22 hours ago, Goose said:

I have seen many 20+ pop nights die after a single map.

FUCKING KOHZTEC

Zing and Goose have already covered anything i would want to say but for the memes

1. Remove Kohztec its a fucking KZ MAP

2. Get rid of Kohztec its a trash map

3. Haven't had a problem with the new tick, but i trust Zings word, so change back i guess 

4. Add credit gifting and credit games back, plz

6. Add course timers

7. Fuck Kohztec

8. Did you realise i skipped 5

edit: and fuck Mario journey 

TL;DR - Remove Kohztec

• Like 2
  • Fire2 1

Nyoom
9 hours ago, Goose said:

I agree with bringing back 64 tick. Definitely feels worse now than before.

Anything other than 64 tick will cause issues with map entities and possibly break them completely.

Also, higher tick rates just put an unnecessary strain on the server and players' performance in general.

• Like 2

Sorrow

I like the sound of a MG 2.0, will look into it

• Thumbs up 1

Zing

I guess I will sum everything up here and add the other stuff that is necessary if we are actually going to do something about minigames:

Anti-cheat notifications are stupidly misleading: https://i.imgur.com/IkLEgs7.png?1

Maps that don't work properly due to the recent change of water textures/shadows + water movement: mg_beastmario_course_v1, mg_morceau01mg_saw_3_v1.  

Maps that are affected due to the tick rate change: mg_metal_course_level_2 (not to be confused with mg_metal_course_2).

Maps that kill the server: mg_kohztec_course1, mg_dreamy_mariogames_b91mg_bombardment_a11mg_mario_journey_betav3_mg_battle_in_space_csgo, mg_tomgreens_allinone_betav2 + the map that takes like 2 hours to complete with only 30 minutes available.

Might be a CS:GO related thing, I don't really play anything other than MG so it might affect other servers as well but every few maps (3-6 maps) majority of the server will crash while the map is changing. Has been happening for a long time but if it's a known problem and out of our control just ignore.

Bring back credit gifting + minesweeper and all that trash if it works properly.

Add course timers for fucks sake.

Add better tags or a title system.

Change the way VIP works with the store so you don't get everything for free. That was a small reason for some people who play: build up enough credits to be able to buy stuff from the store. Maybe make it so you can only get character models for free and nothing else?

Fix the loot bag system so that it actually works or get rid of it.

Remove some messages that aren't needed, i.e. "The Minigames tournament has begun! Finish in the ..." 

Add a message to tell people to join a team when they connect to the server because it doesn't automatically assign them onto one. I know this point sounds stupid but a fair few people don't realise they need to join a team to be able to play and end up just leaving.

Change the default starting map back to sonic or something because having it set to pirate wars makes it especially hard for people to stick around until the population rises again since it is a Team v Team map.

Fix !party

Sort course maps into a tiered system like what Snapz was working on a while back.

I'll be adding more to this list when I think of more ideas. Feel free to continue giving ideas, don't be afraid to throw out stupid ideas as well because everything stems from something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1