SIGNING IN WITH STEAM IS CURRENTLY DISABLED. PLEASE CREATE A TICKET IN OUR DISCORD IF YOU CANNOT LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT. ×

[Suggestion] Tier Format in Surf Servers

Schozah

Hi Guys,

I have a suggestion to change the way in which Tier Maps appear in surf servers.

As of late I have noticed a lot of Unranked - Novice players joining Easy Surf and voting for easy Tier 1 maps. This is particularly frustrating for me and I know a lot of other players who feel the same. In order to combat this I have a sggestion on how to structure the servers.

Noob Surf - Tier 1 Maps Only [15 Min Timer]

Beginner Surf - Tier 2 Maps Only [20 Min Timer]

Easy Surf - Tier 3 Maps Only [30 Min Timer]

Hard Surf - Tier 4 and Up [1 Hour Timer]

With this structure I see people joining servers based on their ability level and those more experienced able to enjoy the game more, tackling hard maps as they progress that they haven't completed yet, rather than playing the same maps over and over again.

If you have alternatives, tweaks or other suggestions please leave them below. As a community I feel we can come up with THE ULTIMATE way to structure Tiers within Servers to make it a more enjoyable and fun experience for all players, new and old!

Thanks,

BIG MAN

3 minutes ago, Schozah said:

Hi Guys,

I have a suggestion to change the way in which Tier Maps appear in surf servers.

As of late I have noticed a lot of Unranked - Novice players joining Easy Surf and voting for easy Tier 1 maps. This is particularly frustrating for me and I know a lot of other players who feel the same. In order to combat this I have a sggestion on how to structure the servers.

Noob Surf - Tier 1 Maps Only [15 Min Timer]

Beginner Surf - Tier 2 Maps Only [20 Min Timer]

Easy Surf - Tier 3 Maps Only [30 Min Timer]

Hard Surf - Tier 4 and Up [1 Hour Timer]

With this structure I see people joining servers based on their ability level and those more experienced able to enjoy the game more, tackling hard maps as they progress that they haven't completed yet, rather than playing the same maps over and over again.

If you have alternatives, tweaks or other suggestions please leave them below. As a community I feel we can come up with THE ULTIMATE way to structure Tiers within Servers to make it a more enjoyable and fun experience for all players, new and old!

Thanks,

BIG MAN

I had planned to add more servers instead of majorly change the existing.

Something I probably would do:

Hard changes from 3 - 6

Medium - Tier 2 - 3

Expert server (top x players only) 4 - 6

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skyprah said:

I had planned to add more servers instead of majorly change the existing.

Something I probably would do:

Hard changes from 3 - 6

Medium - Tier 2 - 3

Expert server (top x players only) 4 - 6

Absolute Legend! That Sounds Fantastic!

You are right, a lot of beginners are joining easy. On easy surf i've noticed we don't really seem to play a lot of tier 2 maps due to unranked players joining. Maybe we point them to noob surf server which is only tier 1?

If Skyp is adding more servers then that's fantastic. More advanced players will be able to play the higher tiers.

Technician by trade, gamer by night...

76561197974420008.png

• 5 weeks later...

I made an account just to add my support for changing this.

There are a decent amount of players who are at the point where they can surf tier 2 and maybe some tier 3 maps, but these players have two options at the moment, easy surf and hard surf.

It doesn't make sense to me that easy surf has tier 1 and 2 maps. We already have noob surf for really easy tier 1 maps, and beginner surf which is just tier 1 maps. If you want to play easy maps like these, you should really just go to those two servers. I think part of the problem here is that it is called easy surf, so someone who wants to get into it sees this and thinks this is the newbie server. I have frequently seen newer players asking new player questions on easy surf.

For hard surf, these players really just want to play higher tier maps mostly, so players who want tier 2/3 maps have the same problem, or players who want to surf higher tier maps have to surf lower tier maps instead, which defeats the point of having a high tier surf server imo.

My suggestion is as follows:
- Noob surf: Easy T1 --- Having a server like this is good to get newer players into surfing so I think this can be left untouched.
- Easy surf: T1 (Originally beginner surf) --- This one im not so sure about. I could see this being T1 and 2 maps, but then its just the same problem as easy surf, but on the other hand there is a lot of crossover between noob and beginner surf. I could see this server just getting more good T1 maps and not having the noob surf maps at all on this server. I think it should be renamed to easy, since the current easy server is proving that newer players are getting attracted to it. The alternative is that this server and noob surf just get merged.
- Intermediate/Medium surf: T2-3 (Originally easy surf) --- This server would be for players who are ready to move on from T1 maps. They get maps that are a bit more challenging, and they also get T3 maps which would serve as a challenge. It also gets renamed so newer players do not come here and get destroyed
- Hard surf: T4-6 --- I don't know much about this one because I dont come here often, but I would assume that because this server generally does not pull high player counts and it is full of vets that players can communicate between each other on what maps they would like to play next, whether they be T4, T5 or T6. Removing T3 and T2 ensures that these harder maps get played, and is no longer as necessary since there would now be a server just for those.

As someone who feels like an intermediate surfer now, hard surf is too hard for me but T1 maps are generally too easy, but there isn't really a place for me to go. I frequently find myself getting ready to jump on for some surf, see that the T1-2 server is running some T1 map from noob surf, and just quit out.

• 2 months later...

Expert surf needs to actually be top200 at least, too many unrankeds coming on and changing map. And all the new t6s need to be moved to t7, whether some of them are even possible on 64 tick is debatable

• ruthles_kila locked this topic